About Jennifer Degl
Speaking for Moms & Babies, Inc.
Jennifer is a micro preemie mom, author of two books, and the Founder of Speaking for Moms & Babies, Inc., an organization that advocates for maternal and neonatal health by sharing the parents’ voice, inspired by her high-risk pregnancy and extremely premature birth of her daughter at 23 weeks gestation.
Books & Publications
Stuck in Bed
The pregnancy bed rest picture book for kids…and moms
This is a book about pregnancy bed rest from a child’s perspective. Kids ask a lot of questions, and this mom answers them with optimism and excitement. She reassures her son that although things will be different for a little while, the two of them can have a lot of fun in the meantime!
From Hope to Joy
In her compelling memoir of courage and love, Jennifer recounts the struggles and triumphs of her eighteen-month journey from the decision to have another child, to the birth of her micro preemie at just 23 weeks gestation, and this tiny one-pound girl’s fight to survive.
Remembering the Power of Stories in Pediatric Research
Pediatric research is detailed, exacting, and scientific. It provides a clear picture, a freeze frame of the study of a particular issue related to children in their infancy, toddlerhood, childhood, and adolescence. Within studies, the clinical statistics automatically mask faces, remove stories, and keep the focus on sterile data in hopes of educating colleagues on important health topics such as the quality of life for infants with bronchopulmonary dysplasia.
Videos & Interviews
You can check out a full list of Jennifer’s publications, interviews, and videos by clicking here to visit her website.
A parent’s voice has power and should be brought to the table in every conversation regarding maternal and neonatal health issues.
– Jennifer Degl
PREVIOUS SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Speaker at NYSPA (New York State Perinatal Association) Conference in Albany, NY- June 2019
- Expert Panel Speaker at Press Conference for A.2371 at NY Senate in Albany, NY – June 2019
- Expert Panel Speaker at 2019 INC (International Neonatal Consortium) Scientific Workshop in Washington, DC- May 2019
- Speaker at NANT 9 (National Association of Neonatal Therapists) Conference in Phoenix, Arizona- April 2019
- Presenter at AAPC Chapter Meeting – Putnam County, New York- March 2019
- Speaker and Advocate for AGOG (American College of Gynecologists and Obstetricians) Lobby Day in Albany, New York – February 2019
- Speaker at FDA and Duke-Margolis Center for Health Policy Meeting in Washington, DC – October 2018
- Panel Speaker at two different sessions at the Preemie Parent Alliance Summit in Falls Church, Virginia – September 2018
- Panel Speaker for “Standardizing Safety Approaches for Neonatal Clinical Trials” Session at the 4th Annual FDA-INC Neonatal Scientific Workgroup in Bethesda, Maryland.- April 2018
- Keynote Speaker at the 16th Annual Perinatal Conference in Tarrytown, NY- November 2017
- Keynote Speaker at the Hope for Accreta Conference in Cleveland, Ohio – October 2017
- Speaker at 33rd Annual NANN (National Association of Neonatal Nurses) Conference in Providence, Rhode Island – October 2017
- Speaker and Co-Chair of the “Communication Strategies to Promote a Research Culture” Breakout Session at the 3rd Annual FDA-INC Neonatal Scientific Workgroup in Bethesda, Maryland.- March 2017
- Keynote Speaker and Parent Panel Expert at the 32nd Annual NANN (National Association of Neonatal Nurses) Conference in Palm Springs, California – October 29, 2016
- Expert Panel Speaker at the House of Representatives Briefing on Capitol Hill introducing House Bill 5182 (The Promoting Life Saving New Therapies for Neonates Act) on June 22, 2016
- Expert Panel Speaker at the Congressional Briefing on Capitol Hill, introducing Senate Bill S. 2041 (The Promoting Life Saving New Therapies for Neonates Act) on February 22, 2016
- Keynote/Opening Speaker at Pace 4 Kids fundraiser for Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at Westchester Medical Center-held/hosted by Pace University in NY- November 2014
- Speaker at Author Night at the Katonah Village Library in NY- November 2014
- Keynote Speaker at Hailey’s Hope Foundation’s fundraiser at Palacio Catering and Conference Center in NY- September 2014
- Keynote/Opening Speaker for the Westchester County, New York “March for Babies” (over 3,000 people attended) hosted by the March of Dimes-April 2014
- Keynote speaker at “An Evening of Reflection and Discussion” to raise money for The Tiny Miracles Foundation held at the Westport Arts Center-March 2014
- Author Night at Mahopac Public Library in NY- December 2013
- Co-Chair of Communications Workgroup of International Neonatal Consortium (INC)
- Board of Directors of The Morgan Leary Vaughan Fund
- Board of Directors and Parent Advisory Committee/Advancement Committee of NIDCAP
- Board of Directors and Speakers Bureau/Membership Committee/Standards Committee of Preemie Parent Alliance (PPA)
- Parent Contributor and Co-Instructor of Patient + Family Care/My NICU Network courses
Jennifer was able to speak to our entire audience, from community-based organizations to midwives to the doctors. Her story of how she and her daughter survived was impactful. Health care providers benefit from hearing the perspective of parents such as Jennifer as this allows physicians to offer the best possible emotional support for their patients and families.
– Heather L. Brumberg, MD, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Clinical Public Health New York Medical College, Medical Director Lower Hudson Valley Perinatal Network Division of Neonatology, Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at Westchester Medical Center
What an amazing gift this woman has. Her ability to share her family’s story and connect and empower us as therapists was phenomenal. I felt like I really want to work to better think of the lens the parent views us with and what I can do to help in the parents’ journey on our unit.